Bike a thon Home › Team Shout Outs

Our teams are what make our event incredible, successful, and filled with passion.

This year, we are sharing the stories of those teams. Each story rings home our phrase, "Who are you riding for?".

Meet Our Teams!

Team Shark

Taking a Bite Out of Cancer

Team Shark began its roots in 1994 with the passing of our father Albert M. Taylor from lung cancer. My brother, Albert Taylor, and I, Mark Taylor, began participating in a local cancer walk/run in Delaware County. Every year, family and friends began joining us, so we developed the name Team Shark from my nickname "Mark the Shark," and we came up with Survivors Helping America Research Cancer. Since 1994, We lost many members of our family and friends to cancer, and we have many who have survived cancer. Our mother B.J. Taylor is a breast cancer survivor, and I am a three-time cancer survivor. Our local cancer walk/run folded after 2013, so in 2014, my brother Al and I participated in a 150-mile bike ride for cancer. Although we enjoyed the ride, the course was extreme. We met up with two other riders and participated in that cancer ride as Team Shark.
After a few years off, we decided to get back into bike rides for cancer. Starting this year, we are participating in the American Cancer Society's Bike-a-thon as a team of 11 (so far). Out of the 11 riders, five are cancer survivors. Why this bike ride? Because it doesn't distinguish a certain form or type of cancer. But all forms of cancer, like our team members who have survived melanoma, kidney cancer, papillary carcinoma, sinus cancer, and so on. Plus, all of our riders have family or friends fighting cancer or have lost their battle with cancer. So we all ride with a purpose, as a team. So come June 10, keep an eye on the team with the ocean blue bike jerseys with the shark logo, and help us take a bite out of cancer. Keep up the donations, and good luck to everyone.

Team Shark

~ Mark "The Shark" Taylor, Co-Captain Team Shark
Team photo: Mark Taylor, Al Taylor-Co-Captain, Albert Taylor, Andrew Mooney, Rob Masterson, Jaymi Masterson, Laura Blackburn, and Mark Wilson. Not pictured are Eileen Mooney, Eric Spirito, and Jason Wiseley

Team MidBike Crisis

From Emil Skobeloff, Team Captain:

Team MidBike Bike Crisis is an outgrowth of a small group of people who cycled from Pittsburgh, PA to Media, Pa in May of 2012. Nearly everyone was a stranger to each another at the start. But, due to the rigors of the trail, roads and mountains, we bonded together and found ourselves cycling together as a cohesive band of friends who enjoyed our personal diversity and mutual interest in fundraising for cancer research. As captain, I had lost a sister, mother, cousins, aunts, uncles and friends to the scourge of this cruel group of mercilessly destructive diseases. My co-captain, Rich Andreus was a two-time cancer survivor who had been a US National Cycling Champion, USA Olympic Cyclist and a perennial rider on the world tour. He also suffers from the advanced stages of Parkinson’s and MS. As our inspiration, we decided to make a commitment to fight back against Cancer. Gary Stewart, one of our perennial stalwarts lost his dad to cancer as well, and, rides with his dad’s name painted on his bike. He magnifies our dedication.

As years have gone by, we have considered ourselves the Little Engine that Could. With about a dozen, more or less riders, we have managed to finish in the top 1-2 dozen teams in fund raising since our inception in 2013. We take pride in that accomplishment. Other teams significantly eclipse our size, and we respect their fervency,we refuse to be outworked. We believe in the goals of the ACS. And, helping in this fight is our passion. e appreciate the support we get each year from Cycle Fit of Delaware County. Thanks John and Pete Weniger.

We are delighted to accept the challenge and return for our 2018 campaign.

midbike crisis 1midbike crisis 2midbike crisis 3midbike crisis 4

Questions?  Contact Lisa Calemmo line philadelphia.bike@cancer.orgline(215) 985-5401lineor view Online Help