We're here to help you with any question you may have about the American Cancer Society 2018 Rock'n Roll Marathon Series event. Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about our event. If you are experiencing online difficulties or have a question that is not answered here, please call our 24/7 help line at 1-800-227-2345.

Event FAQs »   I   Technical FAQs »

line break

EVENT FAQs

What is the American Cancer Society DetermiNation program?
The DetermiNation program is a remarkable community of ordinary people who are doing extraordinary things. We’re here to help you do the unthinkable, achieve what seems impossible, and change the course of cancer forever. With access to professional training, the ultimate community of support, and inspiration every step of the way, we’ll help you finish a half-marathon, marathon, or triathlon. Your personal race victory will change your life, but the finish line will be just the beginning. Because your triumph also means a triumph over cancer - where every step you take and every mile you conquer will create a world with less cancer and more birthdays.

The American Cancer Society DetermiNation program began in Chicago in 1996. The program includes a variety of races and is continuing to grow.

Who can participate?
Anyone can participate! It doesn’t matter who you are, where you are, or how fit you are. We’ll help you train for and finish a half-marathon, marathon, triathlon, or other race. Every Determination team member - from the first-timer to the experienced athlete - is motivated by their personal cancer story and their desire to end this disease. We always encourage you to check with your doctor to make sure you are physically able to participate in an endurance event before signing up.

Don’t want to put in the miles but still want to help save lives? We need volunteers to help make sure every event is a success. Find an event in your area and contact your local American Cancer Society staff person to learn about opportunities to participate on a DetermiNation volunteer committee.

What happens with the money I raise as a DetermiNation team member?
Funds raised through American Cancer Society DetermiNation support the American Cancer Society's fight to end cancer. Specifically, these dollars are used to make a difference in the following ways:

• Helping people take steps to reduce their risk of cancer or find it early when it is most treatable
  • Investing in research to find, prevent, treat, and cure the disease
  • Providing free information and services to help people facing cancer today - when and where they need it - including transportation, lodging, wigs, support programs, and more

For more details, please visit How Donations Save Lives.

How do I raise money to support the American Cancer Society through my race efforts?
Fundraising + your DetermiNation Personal Training Center = Success. Raising money to fight cancer is easier than you think. And, thanks to the new tools available in your  Personal Training Center, it’s also fun! The first step is simply asking people to support you. The number one reason most people say they don’t give to a charitable cause is because no one ever asked them. So be sure to ask! Sending emails to everyone you know, telling them your story, sharing why you’re participating on the American Cancer Society DetermiNation team, and asking for their support is the easiest way to start raising money. You will be amazed at the number of donations that will quickly roll in. You might also want to consider hosting a fundraising event, such as a dinner party, bake sale, or other activity. Be creative and have fun. Your American Cancer Society has a variety of ideas for if you are just starting out.

How can my supporters make a donation?
The fastest and easiest way is to refer your supporters to your personal fundraising Web page that you create when you sign up for the DetermiNation team. On this page, you can upload photos and tell your story of why you are dedicating your race to save lives with the American Cancer Society. Donors can make a contribution directly through your secure Web page using a credit card. Or, if they prefer, donors can send a check made out to the American Cancer Society with your name on the memo line via mail to your local American Cancer Society office.

How can I find out how much I have raised?
Once you register, you will be directed to your personal Web page where you can view who has donated to you online and enter any checks or cash donations you receive offline to ensure they are added to your fundraising total. You can access your fundraising progress anytime by creating a username and password and just signing in. Warning: Checking your fundraising totals can be addicting!

Who thanks my supporters?
We’ll send acknowledgements to anyone who contributes $20 or more to your efforts. However, nothing can take the place of a personal thank-you email or card from you. We highly recommend and encourage you to personally thank your supporters, and we even offer sample thank-you emails. It couldn’t be easier!

How can I double my donation with company matching gifts?
Matching gifts can make your fundraising total soar. First, check with your personnel or human resources department to see if your company has a matching gift program. If so, be sure to clarify any restrictions. Make sure that they match for health organizations. Fill out your company's matching gift form and send it to your local American Cancer Society office with your donation. You can also search a list of companies that already match gifts to the American Cancer Society. Ask your donors to check with their employers to see they can get their gifts matched as well!

Who do I make checks payable to?
Please make checks payable to the American Cancer Society, and be sure to write your name on the memo line. Don’t forget that your supporters can also donate online through your personal DetermiNation Web page.

Why should I use the DetermiNation online fundraising tool?
Our online fundraising tool makes it super easy to raise money and support.

Here are just a few of the things you can do via your DetermiNation event Web site:

• Sign up for a race, start a team to participate with you, or join an existing team.
  • Create and personalize a fundraising Web page with photos and stories.
  • Send emails encouraging everyone you know to support you with a donation or join your team.
  • Collect donations using our secure, personalized Web site.
  • Track individual progress as well as the progress of your team members.
  • Send weekly emails to keep your team members motivated.
  • Send fun, animated e-cards to friends and family.

On Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube? Let everyone in your social network know about your passion to end cancer and the hard work you’re putting in to cross the finish line. Visit your Personal Training Center to:

• Post Facebook stream stories that will appear on your friends’ Facebook Wall that provides your current fundraising progress, with a quick link to support you with a donation; you’ll also find Facebook groups you can join to stay inspired!
  • Find cancer facts you can include in your emails and on your personal page.
  • Get banners to place on your blogs or other personal Web sites to encourage others to join the American Cancer Society DetermiNation.
  • Use DetermiNation Twitter codes to follow updates through your Twitter account.
  • Find Flickr badges and instructions on how to tag a photo to be part of the DetermiNation community nationwide.
  • Post and watch DetermiNation videos on YouTube and SharingHope.tv.

What happens if I don’t meet the required fundraising minimum by the deadline?
As a member of the DetermiNation team, we’re counting on you to fulfill your event’s stated fundraising minimum. Remember, it’s not just a race - you’re helping save lives! We’re also bound by our mission and by our agreement with each race event, so we have an obligation to enforce these minimum fundraising commitments. That’s why, if you don’t reach your goal, you will be required to make a personal donation to fulfill the balance. Your credit card will be charged for any balance at the conclusion of the event. The specific date that your card will be charged is determined by the specific DetermiNation guidelines for your event. But don’t worry - raising money is way easier than you think, so this shouldn’t be a problem for you. Be sure to take advantage of the many tools and tips we offer to help you meet your fundraising goals.

What do I do if I get injured during my training and am not able to meet my fundraising goal?
Once you recommit to your fundraising minimum participants are expected to reach the minimum regardless of injury or if you decide to participate in the event. If you get injured during your event please contact your DetermiNation staff partner so we can help you reach your fundraising goals

How do I get a different race shirt size?
Not a problem - you can exchange your race shirt by contacting your local American Cancer Society staff partner. Please return or mail your original race shirt to your local office.

If I meet my fundraising goal and then set an even higher goal, will I be held accountable to the new goal if I don’t reach it?
You will only be held responsible for the minimum fundraising amount set by your event, so raise that goal as high as you would like!

How can I participate in other DetermiNation events?
View all current DetermiNation races. We’d love to have you on our team for any of our races! If you don’t see your race on our list, you can still raise money for the American Cancer Society for any event you’d like to participate in or even create your own personal fundraising event.

How can I honor my loved ones touched by cancer through this experience?
Participants tell us that honoring loved ones affected by cancer during training and on race day is one of the most meaningful aspects of the DetermiNation experience. On your personal DetermiNation Web page, you can use photos and stories to make a tribute to your loved one - and share with all of your supporters why you have dedicated your race and training to helping the American Cancer Society. Additionally, the American Cancer Society will provide you with ribbons to wear on your race shirt on your event day in honor or in memory of your loved ones.

Need help with the website?
Visit the Technical Questions and Online Help page for the most frequently asked questions, or you can call our 24/7 help line at 1-800-227-2345 for assistance.

Need more information?
Please contact Kyra Racelis at 312.960.2346 or email at kyra.racelis@cancer.org.

Back to top »

line break

TECHNICAL FAQs

How do I sign up online?
We make it quick and easy for you to sign up and raise money online. Simply click Get Involved and then select Sign Up to form a new team or join an existing team. From there, follow a few easy steps to complete the process. If you have further questions about signing up, call our 24/7 help line at 1-800-227-2345. View our step-by-step guide for signing up online »

What is Society Account?
On November 19, 2014, the American Cancer Society account login process was upgraded. This update ensures proper security and a consistent experience across all American Cancer Society applications. Now you can login using your preferred social account login credentials or your email address. Additionally, you will be recognized at all of our event sites, so there will be no need for multiple user names and passwords.

The American Cancer Society will require you to make this change during THIS event season, so please take a few moments to update your account.

What if I registered using multiple email addresses in the past?
Use the most recent email address with which you registered. After this upgrade, you won’t have to remember multiple email addresses if you participate in a variety of American Cancer Society events. Once you’ve updated your account and created a new password, you’ll be able to access any of our event or program sites using your newly created American Cancer Society account login information.

What should I do if I can’t login or have questions about this process?
Feel free to call our web site support desk at 877-957-7848. We’re always ready to assist you with any question you might have.

What happens after I sign up online?
Signing up online gives you immediate access to your Fundraising Dashboard, an online tool that makes it easy to send emails to multiple friends and family members to ask for their support. When you send emails through the Fundraising Dashboard, your donors will receive a link to your personal fundraising page so they can make quick and secure online donations. You can also use your Fundraising Dashboard to track online and offline (cash and check) donations, and to send thank you emails. To learn more about your Fundraising Dashboard, view our participant experience guide.

What is a personal page?
A personal page is an online promotional tool for your use when asking your friends and family to join your team or sponsor you. Your personal page will allow your donors to make safe, secure online donations directly to the American Cancer Society of your behalf. Once you sign up for an event online, by default, you will have a personal page created for you. You have the option of personalizing this page through your Fundraising Dashboard with a picture and your reason to participate in the American Cancer Society 2018 Rock'n Roll Marathon Series event.

My personal page already has default content in it. Do I have to change it?
No, but we recommend you do. A compelling personal page will help boost your fundraising results (and isn't everything better when it's personalized?). A compelling personal page will attract and engage supporters, so it's best if you tell your story. Emails you send through the your Fundraising Dashboard will link people to your personal page, so be sure your page reflects your personal words and photos and is an expression of your commitment to the cause.

Can I set a personal fundraising goal?
We definitely encourage you to set a personal fundraising goal and the fundraising tools we provide you will help you meet or exceed it! The donations you raise can be for any amount.

How do I use my user name and password?
Log in with your user name and password by clicking the Log In button at the top right of the page. If you have visited the site before, your computer may have a “cookie“ saved and will recognize you and log you in automatically. A “cookie” is a small piece of information a Web site leaves on a visitor's computer when the visitor is browsing the site. Cookies remember information about a visitor for use at a later time. Logging in provides access to the Fundraising Dashboard, your personal page, your team's information, and online tools to encourage your friends and family to support you.

What if I've forgotten my user name and/or password?
Remember that your user name and password are case-sensitive. If you need assistance retrieving your user name and password, you can request an email containing your login information.

How do I change my user name and/or password?
Log in to the Fundraising Dashboard using your user name and password. In the Fundraising Tools section look for the Profile link, click on it, and you will be able to change your contact information, email address, user name, and password. All changes will be made to your account immediately. There is no need to log in again.

Is my information secure?
The American Cancer Society makes every effort to protect your personal information. We use industry-standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption techniques to ensure that your credit card information, passwords, and personal information travel securely over the Internet. There is also an encryption engine on our database server that securely stores your data.

How is credit card information handled?
Credit card information is not stored in our database. During the donation process, we send donor credit card information to an online processing terminal using a secure connection. The information passed back is an approval or denial of the credit card donation.

How do I unsubscribe from emails?
Toward the bottom of each email message, there is a link that states "Click Here to Unsubscribe from This Email Message." Click the link and follow the instructions to unsubscribe. Please remember that the emails we send you are related to your event and often contain helpful updates. Unsubscribing might cause you to miss out on important information.

What if I accidentally unsubscribed and want to re-subscribe?
No problem. Simply log in using your user name and password, and then click My Profile. You can then update your email preferences to ensure you receive important event emails.

How do I ask people to support my effort?
Our easy-to-use online fundraising tool allows you to safely and securely upload email addresses of friends and family into your event address book. By using our email templates, or by creating your own, you can ask everyone you know to join you as a participant or support you with a donation.

How do I change my personal fundraising goal?
Log in to the Fundraising Dashboard using your user name and password. From the My Progress section, you can modify your personal fundraising goal. Simply click Edit Goal, enter your new goal, and submit the changes.

How do I change my team name or team goal?
Only the team captain has the ability to change the team name or team goal. The team captain will need to log in to the Fundraising Dashboard, click the My Team tab and then select View/Edit under to update the team name and goal.

How can I see who has donated to me?
Log in to the Fundraising Dashboard using your user name and password. From the My Donations section, you can view your donor list and the amounts donated.

How can I see who is on my team?
Log in to the Fundraising Dashboard using your user name and password and then click on the My Team tab. This will allow you to view your team roster and the amounts raised by each team member.

What is the difference between making my personal page private or public?
By default, a personal page is public, meaning your name will appear on the participant search list, and anyone visiting the site will be able to support your fundraising efforts. Setting your personal page to "private" via the tools in your Fundraising Dashboard may hinder your fundraising efforts, because your name will not appear in the participant search list and only people who have a direct link to your page will be able to support you.

When I click a link, I see a page I visited previously instead of the page I'm trying to visit. Why is that?
Most browsers have "caching issues," which means your computer may remember something you don't want it to. This is common when you frequently use the back button on a site, and can also happen if you're using a shared computer. Visit your browser's Web site or access your browser's Help menu for specific information on how to clear your cache.

If you continue to experience problems after clearing your cache, completely exit the browser (close all open windows, regardless of what site is open in that window), and then reopen the browser. This will clear session data, which can also cause caching issues.

What is The American Cancer Society FUNdraising App?

The American Cancer Society FUNdraising app has been completely redesigned from the ground up. The new ACS FUNdraising app makes on-the-go fundraising and event management for all community events easier than ever before.

With the ACS FUNdraising App users are able to:

• Easily and securely accept credit card and check donations
  • Utilize PayPal for easy, no-card-needed fundraising
  • Solicit donations and send donation reminders via email, text message, Facebook, or Twitter
  • Set and update your personal or team goals
  • Track your personal or team goals
  • Share your progress via Facebook, Twitter, email or text

The ACS FUNdraising app is available now for iOS and Android.

Back to top »

Questions?  Contact Kyra Racelis line kyra.racelis@cancer.orgline312.960.2346lineor view Online Help